Saturday 23 July 2011

D-Day Minus 18

I feel like it's been a while since I wrote anything so I thought I'd better get onto it.  What better way to spend my Saturday night?!  It's been a pretty up and down week, and every time I came to write this I found myself in a bad mood.  But now, I'm in a good mood and I have time to spare!

Since last time I wrote - my Canadian visa came through!  Very pleased.  I was really relaxed about it anyway, I had never heard of anyone having a problem getting one for Canada.  But I'm glad it came through before I left NZ.  Another weight off my mind.  Now I'm relatively confident I don't need to worry about any more visas.  (I am going to check all the other countries one more time though, you never can be too sure.)

I also managed to finally get my car to the wrecker, thanks to Hugh, the guy who's taking over my job.  When I had a proper look at the map to see where this particular wrecker was, it turned out to be right at the side of the motorway, and there was no way I could've walked back into town - close as it was.  I was trying to think of any friend I might have who had a car and time to drive out there with me during the working week, and Hugh turned around and offered, which was incredibly nice of him.  So we drove out there on Wednesday afternoon.  As soon as they'd weighed it, while I was still standing there, they literally drove it into a pile of metal.  Which they then had to climb over to tear the licence plates off it, so I can get it deregistered.  (Daaaaad....  might need your help there, since it's in your name!  I have the form at home already.)  So I got $178 for it.  Which, to be fair, is more than I would've got selling it to anyone else.

Hey, if anyone wants to buy a queen sized bed, a fan heater, or a stereo, or if anyone wants free clothes, blankets, shoes, electric blanket, or digital alarm clock, I'm your man!  Still got a lot of stuff to get rid of and I'm not having any luck with trademe.  My bed in particular is really good and quite new, and it'd be such a shame to have to take it to the Sallies and get nothing back for it.  I'm going to put a sign up at work as well, and offer it all to my existing and new flatmates.

I've also had the first of the Leaving Do's this week...  Thank you so much to Karl for taking me, Hugh, Jay (our newly appointed Training Manager) and Graeme (the awesome guy who oversees the factory side of things) out on Wednesday night.  It was a great night.  Far too much alcohol consumed by all of us, an excellent meal at Monsoon Poon, 10 or 15min spent winding up the staff who were working at our shop that evening, and then they all took turns to beat me at pool.  Next up, staff drinks on Thursday night, and dinner and (MORE) drinks with my friends on Friday.  There will be texts and facebook invites to everyone in Wellington who doesn't already know the plan or hasn't already been invited.  It was going to be Saturday with my friends, but apparently there's some rugby game that some people want to go to....  You know who you are....!  I actually have to be at work in the shop at 8am on Friday (or I chose to, whatever) so by Saturday I'm going to be totally exhausted.

Family - if you can, it would be great to see you either in Rotorua (3 - 7 Aug) or in Auckland (7 - 10 Aug) before I go.

Aside from having trouble getting shot of the rest of my stuff, I'm finally feeling like I've got everything under control and I'm ready to go.  I'm much calmer, and I seem to have got past that feeling of still having a lot to do.  Most of the time.  I did have a pretty bad case of the butterflies yesterday, for no apparent reason.  And I'm just not thinking about flying into Russia because that really does scare the shit out of me.  I'm telling myself that it's good to scare the shit out of myself occasionally.  Feel the fear and do it anyway, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment